Job no: 494335
Work type: Staff
Location: Meramec Campus
Title: Horticulture Lead
Employee Classification: 52 Weeks Unit
***Internal Classified Unit Employees who apply in the first 5 working days from publish date will be given due consideration. External applicants will only be considered, after all qualified internal candidates have been deemed unsuccessful.***
Leads the horticultural team in creating and actively managing the exterior gardens and labs for student use. Works directly with students to accomplish short-term and long-term goals related to his/her education. Develops, maintains, and promotes positive and professional relationships with internal staff, students, volunteers, vendors, contractors, and the general public. Plans, assigns, and directs work, using effective forecasting and scheduling tools to ensure staff productivity and motivation. Displays flexibility and is able to adapt to changes in class schedules, weather, available resources, personnel schedules, garden priorities, and instructors.
Primary Duties Performed:
- Establishes and maintains high horticultural standards and practices, providing direction for the horticultural staff, students, and volunteers.
- Oversees crews to ensure quality work is being performed in a safe and efficient manner. Monitors and gives feedback to crew daily.
- Trains all staff, as necessary, on all equipment use, maintenance practices, and safety procedures.
- Manages and supports overall plant health and soil nutrition strategies for all gardens to include sustainable gardening practices and integrated pest management in the outdoor and indoor gardens.
- Maintains a systematic plant record database and plant inventory collection.
- Monitors that all operational facilities, systems, and equipment are kept organized, clean and
- Responsible for the maintenance of horticulture grounds facilities, mechanical systems, computer systems, irrigation systems, lighting, paths, site furnishings, hand tools, and outdoor equipment.
- Responsible for the planning, application, and documentation of all chemical usage in the
outdoor and indoor gardens.
- Collaborates as necessary with the Greenhouse Lead, College grounds and facilities departments, or outside contractors.
- Implements and monitors the operational department budget, strategic planning, and horticultural capital projects as needed (i.e., installation of new gardens).
- Collaborates with Greenhouse Lead and Facilitator on scheduling, training, and supervising
seasonal and volunteer staff.
- Serves as part of the departmental team that creates and executes projects, events, and initiatives.
- Collaborates and participates with department team in public engagement and off-campus
activities to promote the program.
- Participates in Advisory Board and Program meetings.
- Associate degree (AAS) or equivalent and over one (1) year of relevant full-time experience.
- Must have, or acquire within 60 days, a state of Missouri certified applicators license.
- Must have a valid Class F driver’s license.
- A masters degree in horticulture and over five (5) years of relevant full-time experience.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
St. Louis Community College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experience, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend