Title: Adjunct Instruction Librarian
Employee Classification: P/T Faculty Biweekly
Department: Library Services
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Who we are:
We are not-for-profit: St. Louis Community college (STLCC) is a non-profit institution dedicated to empowering students, expanding minds, and changing lives. Employees are committed to strengthening the St. Louis community with inclusive and transformative education.
We are a respected employer: For 60 years, STLCC has served the St. Louis community, expanding to 4 main campuses, 2 education centers, 2 workforce training centers, and 5 centers of excellence. More than one-half of the households in St. Louis have at least one member who has taken classes at STLCC.
We make an impact in the community: Through credit courses, continuing education, and workforce development programs, STLCC annually serves nearly 69,000 students. More than 80% of career and technical graduates employed in their fields or continue their education at four-year institutions within six months of graduation. STLCC sends more transfer students to Missouri’s four-year colleges/universities than anyone else.
We value Diversity, equity & inclusion: STLCC is committed to fostering an atmosphere of appreciation for all people, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or class.
What you get:
Benefits package [for full-time employees]: STLCC offers one of the best benefit packages in the St. Louis area. As a STLCC employee you will have access to a 100% match on your contribution to retirement, two health insurance plans options that are no cost to the employee - including an HSA option, low-cost life insurance with a 3x salary benefit, and other low-cost benefits including dental, vision, AD&D, ST LT disability insurance.
Opportunity to grow: Over half of our employees have served the college for more than 12 years, exploring different career paths and advancing to higher level positions.
Education & training opportunities: STLCC offers tuition waivers for employees [full-time and part-time] + their dependents. Full-time employees can take advantage of tuition reimbursement for other institutions after just 6 months of service, and an annual professional development allotment.
Work/life balance: Full-time STLCC employees have access to a generous time off package, including holidays, vacation, personal days, medical leave, and other leave options. Our holiday schedule even includes a paid winter holiday at the end of the calendar year.
Commitment to wellness: STLCC HR boasts a dedicated health and wellness specialist who is enthusiastic about creating a culture of wellness throughout the College. With access to college wellness vendors, employees are educated, motivated, and rewarded for healthy behaviors. STLCC employees and anyone living in their household also have access to an employee assistance program (EAP) that can help them with virtually any life need.
The basics of this position:
Instruction Librarians work with students, classroom faculty and staff to develop and reinforce information literacy for all students at STLCC. Information literacy is the set of integrated abilities encompassing:
• the reflective discovery of information,
• the understanding of how information is produced and valued,
• and the use of information in creating new knowledge and participating ethically in communities of learning.
Varied schedule up to 24 hours per week, including some evening or weekend hours.
Successful candidates should expect to work primarily at either the Forest Park or Florissant Valley campus, and may be asked to work at libraries throughout the district.
What you'll do:
- Provide reference assistance to students, staff, faculty and community users.
- Evaluate materials for addition to and withdrawal from the library collection.
- Plan, organize and conduct formal and informal library instruction.
- Consult with classroom faculty on the integration of library resources in the learning process.
- Assist faculty in materials selection to support the curriculum.
- Assist in the maintenance of the library instruction materials and collection.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Keep current with the resources offered on the libraries website.
Other duties performed may include:
- Plan, organize, and teach credit courses in library and information studies.
- Participate in the evaluation of library policies and procedures and assess library instruction impact.
- Participate in department committee work.
- Assist with other library functional areas.
Education, experience, and other requirements:
Master's degree in librarianship from an ALA accredited institution