Title: Student Worker - New Student Programs
Employee Classification: Student Worker
Department: First Year Experience
Salary Range: $15.00 Per Hour
Who we are:
We are not-for-profit: St. Louis Community college (STLCC) is a non-profit institution dedicated to empowering students, expanding minds, and changing lives. Employees are committed to strengthening the St. Louis community with inclusive and transformative education.
We are a respected employer: For 60 years, STLCC has served the St. Louis community, expanding to 4 main campuses, 2 education centers, 2 workforce training centers, and 5 centers of excellence. More than one-half of the households in St. Louis have at least one member who has taken classes at STLCC.
We make an impact in the community: Through credit courses, continuing education, and workforce development programs, STLCC annually serves nearly 69,000 students. More than 80% of career and technical graduates employed in their fields or continue their education at four-year institutions within six months of graduation. STLCC sends more transfer students to Missouri’s four-year colleges/universities than anyone else.
We value Diversity, equity & inclusion: STLCC is committed to fostering an atmosphere of appreciation for all people, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or class.
What you get:
Benefits package [for full-time employees]: STLCC offers one of the best benefit packages in the St. Louis area. As a STLCC employee you will have access to a 100% match on your contribution to retirement, two health insurance plans options that are no cost to the employee - including an HSA option, low-cost life insurance with a 3x salary benefit, and other low-cost benefits including dental, vision, AD&D, ST LT disability insurance.
Opportunity to grow: Over half of our employees have served the college for more than 12 years, exploring different career paths and advancing to higher level positions.
Education & training opportunities: STLCC offers tuition waivers for employees [full-time and part-time] + their dependents. Full-time employees can take advantage of tuition reimbursement for other institutions after just 6 months of service, and an annual professional development allotment.
Work/life balance: Full-time STLCC employees have access to a generous time off package, including holidays, vacation, personal days, medical leave, and other leave options. Our holiday schedule even includes a paid winter holiday at the end of the calendar year.
Commitment to wellness: STLCC HR boasts a dedicated health and wellness specialist who is enthusiastic about creating a culture of wellness throughout the College. With access to college wellness vendors, employees are educated, motivated, and rewarded for healthy behaviors. STLCC employees and anyone living in their household also have access to an employee assistance program (EAP) that can help them with virtually any life need.
The basics of this position:
Serve to support and encourage new students in their adjustment to St. Louis Community College through one-on-one interactions and group meetings.
What you'll do:
- • Attend on-campus and virtual New Student Orientation (NSO) sessions, as well as First Year Experience (FYE) programming events throughout the school year, including but not limited to: Open houses, Fall and Spring Welcome Week events, FYE programming, and Midterm and Final’s week events, and assist in staffing and facilitating FYE programming.
• Independently host peer-to-peer events virtually and/or in person, such as orientation breakout sessions, Q&A sessions, and other events.
• Facilitate inclusive peer-to-peer Q&A Sessions with integrity, honesty, and respect in mind.
• Help promote and encourage mentee attendance at campus programs and events.
• Provide campus tours during orientation sessions and/or guide students to appropriate campus resources throughout the school year, helping new students to identify and use appropriate campus services.
• Attend and participate in robust leadership development training and group meetings.
• Familiarize yourself with college resources, initiatives, and policies, and enforce STLCC policies and always uphold the college’s mission and values.
• Assist and support new students as they adjust and acclimate to campus and establish a sense of belonging.
• Participate in formal evaluations and assessments of the program, and compile data for the monthly and semesterly reports.
• Conduct outreach campaigns by phone, e-mail, or other means to encourage students to enroll for NSO.
• Set up or take down event supplies and decorations.
• Files and maintains office records.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Education, experience, and other requirements:
Must be a student enrolled in at least 6 hours per semester with a cumulative GPA of a 2.0
Must have a completed FAFSA form for the current academic year.