Title: Senior ETL Developer and Administrator
Employee Classification: Professional
Department: Enterprise Computing Services
Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Who we are:
We are not-for-profit: St. Louis Community college (STLCC) is a non-profit institution dedicated to empowering students, expanding minds, and changing lives. Employees are committed to strengthening the St. Louis community with inclusive and transformative education.
We are a respected employer: For 60 years, STLCC has served the St. Louis community, expanding to 4 main campuses, 2 education centers, 2 workforce training centers, and 5 centers of excellence. More than one-half of the households in St. Louis have at least one member who has taken classes at STLCC.
We make an impact in the community: Through credit courses, continuing education, and workforce development programs, STLCC annually serves nearly 69,000 students. More than 80% of career and technical graduates employed in their fields or continue their education at four-year institutions within six months of graduation. STLCC sends more transfer students to Missouri’s four-year colleges/universities than anyone else.
We value Diversity, equity & inclusion: STLCC is committed to fostering an atmosphere of appreciation for all people, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or class.
What you get:
Benefits package [for full-time employees]: STLCC offers one of the best benefit packages in the St. Louis area. As a STLCC employee you will have access to a 100% match on your contribution to retirement, two health insurance plans options that are no cost to the employee - including an HSA option, low-cost life insurance with a 3x salary benefit, and other low-cost benefits including dental, vision, AD&D, ST LT disability insurance.
Opportunity to grow: Over half of our employees have served the college for more than 12 years, exploring different career paths and advancing to higher level positions.
Education & training opportunities: STLCC offers tuition waivers for employees [full-time and part-time] + their dependents. Full-time employees can take advantage of tuition reimbursement for other institutions after just 6 months of service, and an annual professional development allotment.
Work/life balance: Full-time STLCC employees have access to a generous time off package, including holidays, vacation, personal days, medical leave, and other leave options. Our holiday schedule even includes a paid winter holiday at the end of the calendar year.
Commitment to wellness: STLCC HR boasts a dedicated health and wellness specialist who is enthusiastic about creating a culture of wellness throughout the College. With access to college wellness vendors, employees are educated, motivated, and rewarded for healthy behaviors. STLCC employees and anyone living in their household also have access to an employee assistance program (EAP) that can help them with virtually any life need.
The basics of this position:
Performs duties necessary to oversee College information in the operational data store (ODS) and data analytics platform (Cognos) for operational, management, and strategic purposes. As a member of the Information System Analytics and Data Governance team, this position is responsible for negotiating with stakeholders about planning, gathering requirements and designing and developing solutions that support the College’s Analytic and Data Governance initiatives; providing end user and campus report writing support; providing administrative support for the Enterprise Analytic tools; developing custom views in data warehouse; providing technical expertise to analytics project in areas such as programming, testing, quality control, implementation, and the post implementation review.
What you'll do:
- Leads the development, implementation and maintenance of our custom data warehouse and embrace continuous improvement and incremental delivery, enforce coding best practices and secure coding standards through peer code reviews and automation.
- Effectively communicate technical information to non-technical individuals and groups and keep all levels of management members informed and educated on technology-related issues and initiatives that impact and add value to the College.
- Collaborate with developers, project managers, business analysts and business users in conceptualizing, estimating, and developing new software applications and enhancements.
- Serve as a subject matter expert in data warehousing and Analytic solution design, development implementation and analytic tools working on problems of diverse scope and complexity.
- Provide leadership, establish protocols/processes/guidelines, and develop and administer PL/SQL packages, procedures, functions, triggers, etc., with a focus on ODS customizations. Duties include designing data warehouse/mart objects and creating and maintaining tables, views, indexes, functions, stored procedures, packages, and scheduled events in Oracle using PL/SQL.
- Provide data support for analytics initiatives, including extracting, combining, and potentially cleaning/standardizing data from numerous sources and source types most notably database, spreadsheet, and flat files.
- Responsible for the administration, maintenance, operational support, and configuration management of Ellucian Operational Data Store (ODS). Duties include set up user accounts and roles, set up parameters, schedule processes, run utilities, maintain freeze data, resolve ODS refresh run-time errors and upgrades/patches that impact ODS, and develop
- Responsible for the administration, maintenance, operational support, and configuration management of IBM Cognos Analytics, including such duties as: security administration; new data modeling, package development, and deployment in Framework
- Manager; testing of administrative functions after patches and upgrades; incorporating data from other sources into the Oracle database that houses the ODS; and providing high-level support to report developers across all areas of the college.
- Establish and maintain documentations about ODS and Cognos which may include needs assessment and metadata; and define and create software products, frameworks, reference architectures, and patterns and practices for implementation using the PL/SQL programming language.
- Designs, develops, and maintains data models; Cognos, Tableau and Power BI metadata models; ETL and other reporting infrastructure components for the other analytic environments.
- Creates, enhances, and performance tunes reports/dashboards to support analytics environment and work on problems of diverse scope and complexity.
- Responsible for the administration, maintenance, operational support, configuration management, custom views development, and manages security for Enterprise BI tools.
- Defines, documents test plans for reporting solutions and assists in test execution. This will be done in collaboration with Analysts and other resources responsible for the systems being interfaced.
- Accountable for maintaining the security and confidentiality of any proprietary or sensitive information or data in any medium regarding the college or its students, faculty, or staff.
- Accessing or disclosing such information or data must be deemed necessary for the performance of one's job responsibilities and must be authorized by the employee's supervisor.
- Responsible for following the defined SDLC, ensuring solution development adheres to process controls.
- Participate in the formal system change management process and is responsible for ensuring that all changes are tested and perform as intended.
- Availability to work after hours and/or weekends, as specified by supervisor.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education, experience, and other requirements:
- Bachelor's degree with 5 years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience with Banner Operational Data Store.
Experience in Higher Education with data and business processes, and Ellucian Banner is highly preferred.