Title: DW Support Technician I
Employee Classification: 52 Wks Unit
Department: Campus IT - MC
Salary Range: $37,458.00
Who we are:
We are not-for-profit: St. Louis Community college (STLCC) is a non-profit institution dedicated to empowering students, expanding minds, and changing lives. Employees are committed to strengthening the St. Louis community with inclusive and transformative education.
We are a respected employer: For 60 years, STLCC has served the St. Louis community, expanding to 4 main campuses, 2 education centers, 2 workforce training centers, and 5 centers of excellence. More than one-half of the households in St. Louis have at least one member who has taken classes at STLCC.
We make an impact in the community: Through credit courses, continuing education, and workforce development programs, STLCC annually serves nearly 69,000 students. More than 80% of career and technical graduates employed in their fields or continue their education at four-year institutions within six months of graduation. STLCC sends more transfer students to Missouri’s four-year colleges/universities than anyone else.
We value Diversity, equity & inclusion: STLCC is committed to fostering an atmosphere of appreciation for all people, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or class.
What you get:
Benefits package [for full-time employees]: STLCC offers one of the best benefit packages in the St. Louis area. As a STLCC employee you will have access to a 100% match on your contribution to retirement, two health insurance plans options that are no cost to the employee - including an HSA option, low-cost life insurance with a 3x salary benefit, and other low-cost benefits including dental, vision, AD&D, ST LT disability insurance.
Opportunity to grow: Over half of our employees have served the college for more than 12 years, exploring different career paths and advancing to higher level positions.
Education & training opportunities: STLCC offers tuition waivers for employees [full-time and part-time] + their dependents. Full-time employees can take advantage of tuition reimbursement for other institutions after just 6 months of service, and an annual professional development allotment.
Work/life balance: Full-time STLCC employees have access to a generous time off package, including holidays, vacation, personal days, medical leave, and other leave options. Our holiday schedule even includes a paid winter holiday at the end of the calendar year.
Commitment to wellness: STLCC HR boasts a dedicated health and wellness specialist who is enthusiastic about creating a culture of wellness throughout the College. With access to college wellness vendors, employees are educated, motivated, and rewarded for healthy behaviors. STLCC employees and anyone living in their household also have access to an employee assistance program (EAP) that can help them with virtually any life need.
The basics of this position:
Under general supervision, in a 12/5 in-bound call center and walk up support environment, Support Technician I will provide technical and network problem resolution to end-users (customers) by performing a question diagnosis while guiding users through step-by-step solutions. The position requires providing direct technical customer support via telephone, chat, email, remote tools, or in-person at walk up desk locations. Including, but are not limited to, resolving authentication problems, basic software support, verifying proper hardware and software set-up, power cycling, navigating college applications, print related issues, and troubleshooting email issues. Support will be provided in a user-friendly, professional manner. Technicians will perform other related work as required. Please note the walk up locations are on the Flo Valley, Forest Park, and Meramec campuses.
What you'll do:
- Deliver service and support to end-users (customer) using automated call distribution phone software, via remote connection or over the Internet.
- Responsible for assisting all customers with their questions about any of our supported software and computing platforms in a professional and courteous manner through telephone interaction, email, in person.
- Interact with customers to provide and process information in response to inquiries, concerns, and requests about products and services.
- Gather customer’s information and determine the issue by evaluating and analyzing the symptoms.
- Diagnose and resolve technical hardware and software issues involving but not limited to internet connectivity, email clients, IPTV, VOIP and more.
- Follow standard processes, procedures, and policies.
- Apply diagnostic utilities (when required) to aid in troubleshooting.
- Access software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and frequently asked questions resources on the Internet to aid in incident resolution.
- Research required information using available resources.
- Document all customer contact during the service request problem-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken, through to final resolution.
- Perform post-resolution follow-ups to service requests. Verify that customer is aware of resolution.
- Follow a planned professional development program; maintain continual growth in professional skills.
- Offer alternative solutions where appropriate with the objective of maintaining a positive customer relationship.
- Organize ideas and communicate oral messages appropriate to listeners and situations.
- Stay current with system information, changes and updates.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Availability for flexible scheduling.
- Performs other job related duties and assigned
Education, experience, and other requirements:
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time. Position requires use of headset and microphone.
- Associates Degree in Technical Field PC Repair or comparable subject with over three (3) months related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- High School Diploma and two (2) years related experience
- Additional training such as industry certifications such as COMPTIA A+ or SERVER +, Microsoft MCP or MCSE.
- Knowledge of Microsoft desktop computer operating system configuration, operation, patch management and control.
- Knowledge of the principles, operation and capabilities of current high-speed communications network hardware, software and protocols.
- Knowledge of the principles of Microsoft Server operating systems configuration, operation, maintenance, monitoring and control.
- Skill in effectively communicating technical subjects both orally and in writing.
- Ability to keep all information they may see in the course of carrying out their duties confidential, sharing it with no one else other than those who would normally have proper access to that information.