Title: Payroll Specialist
Employee Classification: 52 Wks Unit
Department: Controller's Office
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Internal Classified Unit Employees who apply in the first 5 working days from publish date will be given due consideration. External applicants will only be considered, after all qualified internal candidates have been deemed unsuccessful.
Who we are:
We are not-for-profit: St. Louis Community college (STLCC) is a non-profit institution dedicated to empowering students, expanding minds, and changing lives. Employees are committed to strengthening the St. Louis community with inclusive and transformative education.
We are a respected employer: For 60 years, STLCC has served the St. Louis community, expanding to 4 main campuses, 2 education centers, 2 workforce training centers, and 5 centers of excellence. More than one-half of the households in St. Louis have at least one member who has taken classes at STLCC.
We make an impact in the community: Through credit courses, continuing education, and workforce development programs, STLCC annually serves nearly 69,000 students. More than 80% of career and technical graduates employed in their fields or continue their education at four-year institutions within six months of graduation. STLCC sends more transfer students to Missouri’s four-year colleges/universities than anyone else.
We value Diversity, equity & inclusion: STLCC is committed to fostering an atmosphere of appreciation for all people, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or class.
What you get:
Benefits package [for full-time employees]: STLCC offers one of the best benefit packages in the St. Louis area. As a STLCC employee you will have access to a 100% match on your contribution to retirement, two health insurance plans options that are no cost to the employee - including an HSA option, low-cost life insurance with a 3x salary benefit, and other low-cost benefits including dental, vision, AD&D, ST LT disability insurance.
Opportunity to grow: Over half of our employees have served the college for more than 12 years, exploring different career paths and advancing to higher level positions.
Education & training opportunities: STLCC offers tuition waivers for employees [full-time and part-time] + their dependents. Full-time employees can take advantage of tuition reimbursement for other institutions after just 6 months of service, and an annual professional development allotment.
Work/life balance: Full-time STLCC employees have access to a generous time off package, including holidays, vacation, personal days, medical leave, and other leave options. Our holiday schedule even includes a paid winter holiday at the end of the calendar year.
Commitment to wellness: STLCC HR boasts a dedicated health and wellness specialist who is enthusiastic about creating a culture of wellness throughout the College. With access to college wellness vendors, employees are educated, motivated, and rewarded for healthy behaviors. STLCC employees and anyone living in their household also have access to an employee assistance program (EAP) that can help them with virtually any life need.
The basics of this position:
Review documents and process accounts related to Payroll to
facilitate all Payroll functions; maintains Banner Payroll accounts and creates related
reports; works with employees to ensure timely Payroll payment.
What you'll do:
- Review and process insurance benefits applications and related documentation for
completeness, accuracy, and compliance with all relevant policies and procedures.
- Coordinate matters with the campus business offices and/or departments.
- Balance and control earnings and deduction totals.
- Audit subsidiary ledgers that balance with the general ledger to support financial reports.
- Prepare and file tax reports.
- Process garnishment and levies.
- Perform tasks to establish and maintain employee/payroll records.
- Process new hires into Payroll system.
- Determine and correct out of balance conditions.
- Maintain and correct services rendered payments as it relates to Board Policies and
- Maintain time and attendance records. Analyze, record and tabulate payroll and insurance transactions.
- Coordinate the payments to outside contractors.
- Calculate “on line” checks as required.
- Monitor and verify city residency and work location for all employees.
- Process miscellaneous deductions (union dues, United Way, Art & Education,
STLCC Foundation, Annuities, etc.)
- Maintain W-2 and pay stubs for all employees.
- Serve a backup to Payroll Supervisor.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Education, experience, and other requirements:
Associate's Degree and three (3) to five (5) years' related experience and /or ten (10) or
more years payroll experience required. Banner experience and accounting knowledge
of the general ledger preferred.